Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Orange chicken lovers, listen up!

I don't know about you, but I love me some orange chicken. (Hello, Panda Express!) It's not the healthiest meal so we're always looking for ways to make it tasty, but low fat. I found this recipe on A Year in the Kitchen. Her presentation is much nicer than mine, but it all tastes the same, right? I also added some extra veggies like onion and mushrooms. If you don't like spicy food, cut back on the chili sauce...it was burning my mouth!

Spicy Orange Chicken with Rice

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 head of broccoli
2 bell peppers in a 1” dice
For the Sauce:
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp. thai chili sauce
1 clove of garlic, grated
1/2” ginger root, grated
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. sugar
Prepared brown rice

Mix all sauce ingredients in a bowl, whisk and set aside.
Bring a nonstick wok to medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp. evoo, then toss in chicken seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until brown, toss around until almost cooked. Add in sauce, and turn to low. Let sauce thicken and cook chicken through.
Bring an inch of water to a boil, place steamer in the pot. Add in peppers, stea m for a minute, add broccoli on top, steam for 3 more minutes.

Add drained veggies to the chicken mixture, plate over rice.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails