Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Baby Pumpkin Hat

Isn't he adorable?

Connor is doing great and growing so fast! But he's still pretty small and it's hard to find cute Halloween stuff that's small enough. I absolutely love little baby hats, so I couldn't resist making him a little pumpkin hat for the fall.
I found a couple hats that I know fit him to use as a template.
I used the width of the green striped hat and traced around it on the orange knit fabric. If you don't have a hat, the bottom brim was 6.75 inches wide (that includes a .25" seam allowance) and that's probably around a newborn size.
I drew the hat shape on the fabric, stitched around the edge, and left a small opening at the top for the leaves. To make sure the hat fit correctly, I tried it on the baby and adjusted the top to fit snugly around his head.
To finish the bottom edge, I just folded the fabric up and sewed around.
For the leaves at the top, I used some stiff felt and freehand drew three leaf shapes.
I arranged them so they overlapped slightly and stitched them together across the bottom.
With right sides of the hat in, I placed the leaves on the inside and stitched the opening closed. Then when I turned the hat right sides out, the leaves would stick out at the top.
I had no idea how easy it would be to make these!

My little sleepy pumpkin : )


16 comments :

  1. Aw, so cute! He is precious! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just adorable!! And the pictures are darling! Hope you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is one darling pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, he is soooo precious!!!

    Second, love the hat. That is THE CUTEST baby hat I have seen for Halloween. So cute!

    Third, Please explain to me how you sew on knit. Everytime I try, it stretches too much. Are you using a walking foot or a special stitch? What is the secret???? Maybe it's just my machine hates knit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! And sew simple! I have a post going up next week on a knit hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - Connor is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet baby boy...and that hat is so cute!
    We just welcomed our newest pumpkin to our family 4 weeks ago and I think I need to make him one of these right now!

    Now Following your beautiful blog :)

    creativecarmella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's just adorable - and so is the hat! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday at Mom On Timeout.

    -Trish @MomOnTimeout
    http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Undoubtedly the cutest lil' pun'kin I'll see all year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa that baby of yours is adorable and so is the hat! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable!! Congrats. Love the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous hat - but not nearly so gorgeous as your little one wearing it! I love the photo in the autumn leaves!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up Lisa, Connor looks adorable in the hat you made! I've featured it on tomorrow's Crafty Soiree :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable!!
    Julianne
    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails