Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Banana Caramel Challah Bread Pudding

This is one of those recipes that tastes amazing, but doesn't look as good in pictures. Bread pudding probably isn't the most photogenic food in the world because it looks like mush, but it's SO good! This one is also low fat so you have my permission to indulge! It's the perfect dessert for breaking the fast 0n Yom Kippur coming up later this week or any other occasion.

Ingredients:
• 2/3 cup skim milk
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 2 eggs
• 4 cups cubed challah bread
• cooking spray
• 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 4 tablespoons fat free caramel topping
• powdered sugar

Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.

Pour bread cubes into a 9x9 baking pan covered with baking spray.

Pour liquid mixture over bread cubes and top with mashed banana.

Sprinkle mixture with sugar.

Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.

Before serving, top with caramel sauce and powdered sugar.

Really, really yummy!

15 comments :

  1. I thought Yom Kippur was a fasting holy day! This looks amazing but maybe for Sukkot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could break my fast on this yum! And it looks so simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had to look up what Challah bread was. Ha. I love the recipe because it calls for such small amounts of sugar. Wonder if you have to use only Challah bread?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lisa for the quick response! I am going to try and get those ingredients on the shopping list this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I have to google Challah bread...haha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I love bread pudding and this looks like a fantastic twist on the original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it..I have to try this sometime.. What an awesome blog,,Im officially following ya with smiles.. Found ya on linky and had to stop in.. So much creativity dwells here.. Im Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com ..Hope you can stop in sometime..TY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet this is sooo gooood! I love Challah bread, but I can never find it around here. Do you have a good recipe for the Challah or do you buy it? There was a deli about 30 miles from here that used to cater our work parties and they had sandwiches served on Challah. I might give them a call and see if they sell it. MMMMM! Fingers crossed. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I featured this in my bookmarks this past weekend - did you see?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love challah bread! I never thought of using it in a bread pudding. This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Pinning on pinterest. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO making this!!!!! YUM!!!!!! thanks for sharing...hugs from your newest follower! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheesh, Lisa, this looks absolutely divine! What a wonderful combination of delicious flavors!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails