Thursday, December 4, 2014

DIY Sew Toddler Stuffed Christmas Tree and Ornaments

This was definitely a labor of love project!  2 years later, I finally have something I can show off.  I believe I started this right after Connor's first Christmas when I had the great idea that he could decorate his own child-proof tree the next year.

I started out with some fleece and made my famous stuffed tree, but a giant version that was much bigger than the normal 10-12" one.

The star was the hardest part.  I had to find a way to get it to stay on and be child-friendly.  Using a party hat and a star cut out as my inspiration, I created a felt version that fit on the tree.

It took a few attempts to get it to work, but I figured it out eventually.


I used a blanket stitch around the outside edge of the star.




The ornaments were the hard part, but I wanted to go all out with these.  I did some sketches of the ideas I had, so I would be able to plan the designs.


Seriously, these must have taken months to finish, but the end result was adorable.  Each one has little buttons and hand-stitching on it.



To get the ornaments to stay on the tree, I added big buttons to each tree branch.


At some point, I finally finished this thing and put it in the basement with the other holiday things.  I got busy and forgot about it until the other day when I found it!  Connor is the perfect age for it now and I'm so happy I have it for him!






He loved decorating it!

2 comments :

  1. This is awesome! I have always wanted to do something like this, but haven't. Ha! Your kids will treasure this. I am betting it will be a hit for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a one-year old and just came across your sewn tree. It's so pretty! Do you have a pattern or any more instructions on how to sew the tree itself? I have a sewing machine and would love to make one of these this year! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails